The Two Wings of Awakening: Wisdom and Compassion (1st May)
- Location : Buddhist Library
- Start Date and Time : 01/05/2018 07:00 pm
- Finish Date and Time : 01/05/2018 09:00 pm
- Event Speaker :
- Enquiries or Contact : 0295196054
- Organising Entity : Buddhist Library
The Two Wings of Awakening: Wisdom and Compassion
Wisdom and Compassion are two essential pillars for awakening. Wisdom without Compassion is dry and lacks heart quality, whereas Compassion without Wisdom is a good-hearted but can be foolish.
Wisdom covers the comprehending side of our nature and Compassion covers unique human qualities.
How do we cultivate wisdom and compassion in our daily lives?
How do we develop inner clarity and a deeper sense of caring for oneself and others?
Join us to explore with Jill Shepherd on the challenges present to us in our lives, bringing Wisdom and Compassion to the difficulties we may find.
Tuesday 1st May
7pm – 9pm
About Jill Shepherd:
She recently spent seven years on staff at the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) in Barre, Massachusetts, where she participated in several long retreats and Buddhist study programmes, as well as offering weekly meditation classes at a nearby men’s prison.
She is a graduate of the IMS / Spirit Rock teacher training program in the US, under the guidance of Joseph Goldstein and Gil Fronsdal.
Currently, she divides her time between the USA, Australia and New Zealand, teaching vipassana and brahma vihara retreats and offering ongoing study and practice groups focused on bringing the dharma into daily life.
Jill is an independent meditation teacher and is not financially supported by any meditation centre or Buddhist organisation. She relies entirely on dana for her livelihood.
All Sessions by Dana (donation).
Dana is the traditional practice of generosity, the extending of one’s goodwill, which is fundamental to Buddhism and other spiritual traditions. The teachings flourish in an atmosphere of generosity and gratitude, and these qualities in turn support the growth of wisdom and compassion in the practitioner. The instructions and guidance for this course are offered without requesting a specified fee and it is up to individuals to determine the amount of dana they would like to offer. It can sometimes be easy to become confused when we are new to this and we wonder “how much should I give?” This is a relevant question in the material economy but an appropriate dana cannot be prescribed but requires sensitivity to its intent and awareness of the costs and expenses associated with organising a course (e.g., administrative & venue costs).
- Dharma Bites - Sharing of Insights
- The Two Wings of Awakening: Wisdom and Compassion (1st May)
- Intuitive Awareness (Fri April 20th)
- Workshop: Using Mindfulness and Meditation to Calm the Traumatised Mind (9th June)
- Compassionate Communication Workshop (Sat March 24th)
- Mindfulness Meditation Workshop (starts Tues, 8th May)
- Eight of this, Four of that, Seven of this, Five of that: The Buddhas Path to Mental Wellness (April)
- Insight Meditation Course March/April 2018