The Path of Joy (19th March)
- Location : Buddhist Library
- Start Date and Time : 19/03/2019 07:00 pm
- Finish Date and Time : 19/03/2019 09:00 pm
- Event Speaker : Jill Shepherd
- Enquiries or Contact : 02 9519 6054 or email@example.com
- Organising Entity : Buddhist Library
The Path of Joy
Cultivating wholesome joy
About Jill Shepherd:
She recently spent seven years on staff at the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) in Barre, Massachusetts, where she participated in several long retreats and Buddhist study programmes, as well as offering weekly meditation classes at a nearby men’s prison.
She is a graduate of the IMS / Spirit Rock teacher training program in the US, under the guidance of Joseph Goldstein and Gil Fronsdal.
Currently, she divides her time between the USA, Australia and New Zealand, teaching vipassana and brahma vihara retreats and offering ongoing study and practice groups focused on bringing the dharma into daily life.
Jill is an independent meditation teacher and is not financially supported by any meditation centre or Buddhist organisation. She relies entirely on dana for her livelihood.
All Sessions by Dana (donation).
Dana is the traditional practice of generosity, the extending of one’s goodwill, which is fundamental to Buddhism and other spiritual traditions. The teachings flourish in an atmosphere of generosity and gratitude, and these qualities in turn support the growth of wisdom and compassion in the practitioner. The instructions and guidance for this course are offered without requesting a specified fee and it is up to individuals to determine the amount of dana they would like to offer. It can sometimes be easy to become confused when we are new to this and we wonder “how much should I give?” This is a relevant question in the material economy but an appropriate dana cannot be prescribed but requires sensitivity to its intent and awareness of the costs and expenses associated with organising a course (e.g., administrative & venue costs).
- The Suttas: Encounters with the Buddha's words (10th March)
- Daytime Absolute Beginner’s Meditation Course (March)
- (Bi-monthly) Mahayana Buddhism Study Group
- The Path of Joy (19th March)
- Workshop: Using Mindfulness and Meditation to Calm the Traumatised Mind (18th May)
- Dharma Bites - The Power of Selfless Love (27th Feb & March)