The Buddhist library has over 7,000 books and multimedia resources.
These resources range from introductory material to scholarly texts in all main schools of Buddhism and related subjects.
The library is open to the public although membership is required for borrowing of resources.
There are also books for free distribution available at the library.
New Books in the Buddist Library
Author: James Baraz
Awakening Joy is more than just another book about happiness. More than simply offering suggested strategies to change our behavior, it uses time-tested practices to train the mind to learn new ways of thinking. The principles of the course are universal, although much of the material includes Buddhist philosophy drawn from the author’s thirty years as a Buddhist meditation teacher and spiritual counselor.
Women in Pali Buddhism
Author: Pascale Engelmajer
The Pali tradition presents a diverse and often contradictory picture of women. This book examines women’s roles as they are described in the P?li canon and its commentaries…
The Mindful Child
Author: Susan Kaiser Greenland
The techniques of mindful awareness have helped millions of adults reduce stress in their lives. Now, children—who are under more pressure than ever before—can learn to protect themselves with these well-established methods adapted for their ages.
How to Be Sick
Author: Toni Bernhard
Categories: Religious Life
This life-affirming, instructive, and thoroughly inspiring book is a must-read for anyone who is–or who might one day be–sick. And it can also be the perfect gift of…
The Way of the Buddha: The Illustrated Dhammapada
Author: The Rubin Museum of Art
The Dhammapada, a core text for Buddhists all over the world, consists of more than 400 sayings from Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism. Here, in a handsome and giftable format…
Although the library is open to all members of the public, only library members are able to borrow resources. To become a member, you will need to submit a membership application form in person at the library, along with:
- Copy of current driver’s license or other proof of identity with photograph (e.g., passport)
- Two proof of residential address (e.g., utility bills, bank statements)
- Regular Membership $60.00 for a period of three years;
- Concessions Membership $30.00 for full time students and pensioners for a period of three years
- Free for SRE Buddhist scripture Teachers
- Calculation for 3 years duration, if you sign up between:
– August to December 2015, your membership will expired on December 2018.
Previous Lifetime Membership MembersWe are exploring some options and will update the transitions shortly.Membership and borrowing rights are only open to those living in following areas:
- Sydney Metropolitan
- Central Coast
- Blue Mountains
- Southern Highlands
- WollongongMembership and borrowing rights for those living in other parts of NSW, and the ACT can be negotiated and is subject to additional conditions.
Hall and Room Hire
We have one multi-purpose hall and two reading & meditation rooms available for hire. All these spaces are carpeted and have natural light. Chairs, meditation cushions and meditation stools can be provided as part of the room hire. A simple shared kitchen facility is accessible for those using these spaces. This hall is located at Level 1 with no lift access.
Audio and/or visual equipment can be made available although these may incur a small additional cost.
Multi Purpose Hall: Can seat up to 100 people
Important regards hall hire:All parties hiring the halls are required to provide proof of your own insurance before booking can be confirmed.
Reading & Meditation Rooms: Can seat up to 10 people in each room
Self-contained Unit: With single bed, en-suite and kitchenette is also available for hire by a single person for short-term stay. Monastics and Buddhist Teachers requiring short-term accommodation are also welcome to enquire about this space.
Please contact us on 9519 6054 Monday to Friday (12:30pm – 5pm) with your request. We will require basic information about your organisation and description of the activity.
Please note that we do not accept tentative bookings – you will need to be certain about the date(s) you wish to book the space. Booking is confirmed when payment has been received.
Promoting Your Event
The Buddhist Library can assist in publicising Buddhism-related activities through various channels including:
- Details of your event on our website (For Hall Hire only)
- Display of printed publicity material on our notice board and in information corner (Please printed the copies and send it to us)
- Advertisement of event in our newsletter, Dharma Vision**Terms and additional costs may applyPlease contact us on 9519 6054 Monday to Friday (12:30pm – 5pm) to discuss these options.
Meditation Stools of three different heights (Low, Standard and High)
with Fixed Legs : $75
with Folding Legs: $90